I know what you’re thinking, “why on earth would I want work to feel like home when I already have a real home?!” That is a very good question; however, I don’t have a very good answer. Not what you were expecting to hear? I’m sorry.
Personally, I believe that since I have to spend a minimum of 8 hours at work, I figure I might as well be comfortable. These are the little things that I do to make my office feel cozy.
1. This is crucial: have good lighting. If it’s too bright, you will have to wear sunglasses. Not fun. If it’s too dark you will need night vision goggles. Get lighting that allows you to see, and that won’t give you a headache.
2. Put up a picture or two. Have some pictures up that remind you of things or people that you love. When you look at them, they will put a little smile on your face.
3. Put some snacks in a drawer. I always have a few granola bars, some loose tea, and instant noodles in my desk. You never know when your stomach will decide it’s more important than your work. Tea is just plain relaxing.
4. Get a comfy chair. Unless you prefer standing all day, or back aches, or blistered feet from walking in heels all day- get an ergonomically friendly and comfy chair.
5. Have little treats for sharing. Unless you don’t have taste buds or a stomach, everyone needs to snack once in a while. I keep little candies or treats at my desk. It’s great for when you need a little pick-me-up, but it’s also nice for others. Once you establish yourself as the one with the treats, you will become more popular. It’s science: candy+you+coworkers= likeability. Fine, let’s be honest… the treats are usually just for me. The others are merely my justification.
What do you do to make your office more comfortable?